Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Our Story - I think my water broke? WTF?!?

It was 5:45 a.m. on June 29, 2010. For the fourth or fifth time that night/morning I had to get up to pee again.

I went to the washroom, and as I was walking back to bed felt some wetness. I automatically thought, i must have some how peed myself, I mean that has to be what it is right? My water couldn't have broken, its way to early for that........

I cleaned myself up, and headed back to bed. As I got into bed and rolled over I noticed some more leaking...... I got up to head back to the washroom, and sure enough fluid started rolling down my legs. At this point I knew, it must be my water.

I woke Chris up and off we went to the hospital. It was a silent drive most of the way, except for my on again off again comment of "this cant be good".

We arrived at the hospital and were admitted right away to the labour floor. They found the babies heart which was good. The resident finally came and did any internal to check if I had actually broke my water. And sure enough, she confirmed it.

This is the one time in life you are hoping you actually peed yourself!!

She then went on to tell me that it didn't look good, and I would most likely soon go into labour and the baby would not survive. She said that there is a small chance the membrane might seal and the amniotic fluid would re fill, but she had only seen it happen once.

ONCE? Really ONCE? (as my husband then tried to make me feel a little better by reminding me that she is a resident, and does not have as many years under her belt yet). Thanks Baby!

We then waited for the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) doctor to come down to talk to us about statistics. When the NICU doc got there he let us know that our baby was not considered viable at that point (as I was only 22 weeks), he said that if I went into labour, the baby would not survive and they would not do anything for the baby at that point. Babies are not considered viable till 24 weeks. And even then the odds are not in our favor. 50% of babies born at 24 weeks will die, and 50% of those that survive will have disabilities of some kind.

In short, If I do not go into labour, then the longer baby stays in cooking the better. However, the main concern is the lung development. As the first main lung development occurs between 16 to 23 weeks. As we ruptured at 22 weeks, we did not get the full development of that period. So the lungs will always be immature at this point.

Calls were made to family members to inform them of what had occurred.

After a grim talk with the NICU doc it was suggested that they ship me over to another hospital to the perinatal clinic for an ultrasound to measure if there was any amniotic fluid left, and have a consultation with the team there. So off we went, transferred in an ambulance. The only question I asked the whole way there was whether I could have a piece of gum. I mean really, a piece of gum. You were just told the worst news ever, and that is the the one burning question that comes to mind. AWESOME!, hope it is not a reflection of my parenting skills to come.

Well the best way to describe the perinatal clinic and the ultrasound is "two deer caught in the headlights".

Chris and I both sat there as they told us that there was only 1 cm of fluid in the uterus (normal is generally 10 -24 cm), and that there are no great odds for the baby at that time. Once again, they reminded us that if I went into labour prior to 24 weeks there was nothing they would do for the baby.

For now they would ship me back to the the hospital I came from where they would most likely monitor me over night for signs of labour. If I made it through the 24 hour period, then I would come back on Friday for more tests and decisions.

We were then told to come back on Friday for another ultrasound, a fetal echo (to look more in detail at the heart, lungs, and ventricles) and see where things are at. At that time, we can decide if we want to continue our pregnancy.

Friday came and was very long. Not as much like deers caught in the headlights, but still stunned. The ultrasound showed fluid was up from 1 cm to 3 cm. So we were happy, that there was a small improvement. Our family was there to support us through the day, which was so appreciated and needed.

The fetal echo was good, but lasted about an hour. They had positive news that the heart and lungs looked good and they could not find any defects.

They had us meet with another NICU doctor, the one Chris and I refer to as the Ikea Guy!

He proceeded to tell us many of the same statistics about the baby and what happens when the baby is born and at what gestational age. However, he was the first to instill some hope in us. As you are sitting there trying to make a decision on whether to continue your pregnancy, or choose to induce labour and terminate your pregnancy, it is the worst feeling ever.

Then a few simple words "Most parent in your case choose to wait and see what happens"

THANK YOU MR. IKEA!!!

He went on to tell us that so much could change day to day and week to week. So many people choose to give it a shot, and see what happens!

So that was our decision.

Now the goal was to make it to 24 weeks!! As our baby will then be viable. They released me from the hospital the next day after I had not shown any signs of labour. Said to be on bed rest at home, and pray that I did not go into labour. Any signs of labour or infection I was to go straight back to the hospital.

One of the biggest concerns right now is infection. As now that there is no membrane encasing the baby, they are more susceptible to infections as am I. But because I was not 24 weeks yet, they would not give my antibiotics. As if I got an infection, they will induce labour no matter what.

So I had two weeks to make it the 24 week mark to get my antibiotics and maybe some steroids to assist with the babies lungs. Seemed like so far away.

The count down begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.