Wednesday, July 21, 2010

25 weeks + 1 day and carrying on...

Well I am back at home, no hospital admission.

Had our appt today.  The fluid is still 2 cm.  However, baby is doing good, putting on weight and growing  (approx 1 lbs, 12 oz).  They ended up doing another fetal echo today to check the lungs and heart and ventricles and what not.  They stated everything looks good and it is on track for gestational age.  So that was positive.   The cardiologist we seen today, said that she has been studying fetal echos for ever and a day, and said that in general PPROM babies end up doing not too shabby.  That was the first positive note we heard all day.

We chatted more with the NICU doc today in the perinatal clinic.  He is alright, not my most favorite of the three we have seen so far (as they do a rotation at the perinatal clinic every so many weeks).  I guess I was hoping for a high five for something to say "wow, you made it to 25 weeks", but none of that was to be had.  ha

More talk about if baby is born today, what they would do and what to expect.  I asked about magnesium sulfate for neuron stimulation and was shut down "not enough research", asked about another set of steroids later on down the line if I make it to 28 week or so. Also, shut down.   Was a tad annoying.

The I was trying to ask him to confirm at what time they would choose to just deliver the baby if I continued to carry, (as most of my research seemed to say around 34 weeks, the docs would induce labour).   And get this.......  HE LAUGHED, and told me I will not make it to 34 weeks.   I mean common buddy, you couldn't keep the laugh inside...... So now I feel like me and my baby bean are even more determined to prove him wrong. haha.

So back for a second shot of steroid tomorrow.  Then they gave me the option to be at home or in the hospital.  My OB said she has no issues with me staying at home.  As there may even be less of a chance for infection at home then in the hospital.  Though she would like me to go to the hospital once a day for monitoring the baby.  She is going to see if I can go to the Grey Nuns for the monitoring as it is much closer.  Keeping fingers crossed!

Of course I need to continue to check my temperature, and monitor for any odd discharge, bleeding etc.

we will continue our weekly ultrasound appointments to check on baby, and measure growth every couple weeks and such.

Chris asked the OB today whether there was an approximate time that we maybe able to expect I would go into labour.  She said that if we manage to not go into labour during the first 24-48 hours, and then make it beyond the first week.   (IF NO INFECTION TAKES UP HOME IN MY UTERUS), then in general they say 6-8 weeks from the date of the water breaking.  Not sure there is anything super scientific out there to back this.  But I guess it is ok to have some what of a number, as every day I wonder whether today will be the day.   So hoping we make it to the 28 - 30 week mark (6-8 weeks post membrane rupture)

She also thankfully confirmed that in general they will deliver at 34 weeks if I have not by then.  However, if baby is doing well they may put it off week by week.

Also brought of the magnesium sulfate and the second round of steroids with her.  She said that the magnesium sulfate as far as increasing neuron stimulation and decreasing chances of cerebral palsy is new research, only in the last 6-12 months has some research come out.  So she asked me to speak with the perinatal doc about it next week.   As for the steroids (second round) I will bring it up again around 28 weeks.

So now we carry on.... day by day, week by week, baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.